Friday, July 1, 2011

Big Tooth! (Part 2)

This is a continuation of Part 1 of this big tooth.


For this part, I have tried to paint my tooth.  I gathered my water colour paints and had some hopes to make the tooth look a little more lively.  Unfortunately, as you will find out that it is problematic.





As I was gathering the paints, I noticed a permanent marker, so I took it and started to colour the top or actually the tooth's crown or base.  It seem to be acceptable.  However, when I got to the tooth's other part, the marker seems to be absorbing the ink.  As I noticed the marker started to dry up, I thought that the marker is probably dry.  I took another one to colour and soon after that, the same thing happened.  So, it means that paints must be used.


I started to paint from the crown and it seem to be good.  When I got further down, the Super Sculpey does not seem to absorb the paint.  Not only does it not absorb, but instead, it seem to be too light compared to the crown.  So, that means water colour paints does not work.  So, I went to buy around bottle of paint and tried again.



This is how it looks when water colour paint is applied to it.  I have to get Acrylic paint.  The images may not necessary show, but when the paint is dry, it cracks and peels.  When I apply for paint to it, when the dried portion become wet again, it just would not absorb and keeps the tooth looking like a bad paint job is done.





In the mean time, I noticed that some parts that I applied more Super Sculpey, is still soft.  I didn't put the tooth into the oven again for I'm afraid the stud base will smoke again.  So, I used a blowdryer and used that to heat the Super Sculpey and hardened up that portion.




Da daah....here's the final painted version.  The previous layer of water colour paints started to crack after it had dried up.  I had to clean it off as much as I possibly could by wetting it to reactivate the paint.  Using acrylic paint, it stuck on and made the tooth the colour I intended it to be.  While it was drying, I photographed it as if it was taken out of the water.


Front of tooth.
Rear of tooth.
Finally, I singled out the background.  Here are the final product...ready for display at the ROM ...xD

Front part.
Rear part.

The final part of this portion of the project is make a style guide.  Below is my version of the style guide.




Thank you.  The amount of hours that I spent on this portion of the project including research, sketching, modelling, painting, producing style guide, and travelling, is approximately 15 hours.  This is my very first time on such project.  I anticipated a shorter time.  However, since I'm not an artist, I'd probably do this in lesser time next time if I have the opportunity to do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment